Thursday, August 6, 2020

The Murder of Tiffany Ojeda Hill

Tiffany Ojeda Hill (35) was murdered by her estranged husband Keland Hill (38) on November 26th, 2019. The mother-of-three was accompanied by her own mother, Aurea Conde on that  fateful afternoon as she picked up her children from their school in Vancouver, Washington. Tiffany, Aurea, and the three children were sitting inside Tiffany's van when Keland approached the vehicle and fired several shots through the windshield. Both Tiffany and Aurea were struck by several bullets. Aurea survived the attack, but unfortunately Tiffany did not. She was pronounced dead on the scene. The children were fortunately not physically injured, but they witnessed the entire horrific event.

Keland Hill

Keland fled from the scene in his car. He led police on a short chase before he eventually turned the gun on himself on Padden Parkway and Andresen Road. Keland was then transported to the hospital, where he was later pronounced dead. 

Nearly three months before Tiffany's murder, Keland had been ordered not to contact her. Tiffany was reportedly scared for her life in the weeks leading up to her murder. Keland had been proven to be a violent person, and he had also violated the no-contact order several times in the months leading up to Tiffany’s death. All of this begs the following question: why wasn’t Keland in jail during November 2019?

Continued from Tumblr:

The no-contact order was served after Tiffany reported that Keland pushed her into a wall and then prevented her from calling 911. This incident occurred on September 11th, 2019, and Keland was given the no-contact order the following day. Just two days later, Tiffany reported that Keland violated the order by attempting to contact her. He violated the order yet again on September 19th and October 10th. 

Nearly a month went by without any contact from Keland--but then he violated the no-contact order yet again on November 7th. When Tiffany called police this time, they discovered that Keland had put GPS tracking device on her vehicle. He was subsequently arrested. The following day, investigators conducted a danger risk assessment with Tiffany--and she was placed in the extreme risk category. 

Due to this extreme risk, prosecutors fought to keep Keland in jail following his November 7th arrest. At a hearing on November 15th, 2019, the prosecutor asked the judge to raise Keland's bail from $75,000 to $2,000,000. The prosecutor explained, "the state believes that if the defendant is released, he will kill the victim. I have grave concerns about this case." 

A statement written by Tiffany herself was also read at the hearing, which stated, "He's going to kill me if given the opportunity. I beg you to not allow him to get to me and my children, we have no family here, nowhere to go, we have no money and nowhere to hide from him." Despite all of this, the judge only raised Keland's bail to $250,000. He was bailed out on November 21st--just five days before he shot both Tiffany and her mother--and then later himself.

Tiffany's family members have pledged to make an effort to improve the justice system, which they said ultimately failed Tiffany. Tiffany's children have moved to New York, where they are being raised by her mother and sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment