Monday, February 13, 2023

The Murder of Marilyn Scott


The morning of February 7th, 2017 began as a normal morning for Marilyn Scott. The 28-year-old woke up, got ready for the day, and then exited her Bel Air, Maryland apartment to head to work. Marilyn was a staff sergeant for the Air National Guard, and she worked at their offices in New Castle, Delaware. It was an approximate 50-minute drive from her home in Maryland to her place of employment. Marilyn was used this commute; but on this particular morning, she never ended up making it to work. 

Neighbors called police that morning after hearing at least four gunshots in the parking lot of Marilyn's apartment building. When police arrived on the scene, they found Marilyn slumped over in her Honda Accord. She had suffered several gunshot wounds, and it was immediately clear that she had been murdered.

Police noted that nothing appeared to be missing or stolen from Marilyn's car or apartment, so a robbery was quickly ruled out as a motive. It was immediately believed that she was targeted - but it was difficult to come up with a suspect. Marilyn's loved ones described her as a private person, so even those closest to her were unaware of who she was interacting with prior to her murder. In fact, Marilyn was actually three months pregnant at the time of her death, but her family members did not know about the pregnancy until after she was killed. 

Investigators have revealed very little about the investigation into Marilyn's murder, However, an article from 2018 states that detectives "narrowed down their search on who they think killed her. But they don't have enough to link who they think did it the morning of the crime." Investigators have not publicly named this person. However, Marilyn's sister Paris Scott stated that it's possibly the father of Marilyn's unborn child. Paris is quoted in the same article saying, "My sister was pregnant when she was murdered and the number one suspect matches that DNA."

Years have passed since that report, but an arrest has still not been made in Marilyn's case. As of today, her case remains unsolved. Detectives are still hoping to find that key piece of evidence that will allow them to finally move forward with the case. If you have any information that could help the investigation, please submit a tip to Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7-LOCKUP.

No comments:

Post a Comment