Monday, August 29, 2022

Today in True Crime: August 29, 2022

Today's true crime anniversaries include two unsolved cases. Both cases involve indigenous Americans. According to the U.S. Department of Interior, "American Indian and Alaska Native people are at a disproportionate risk of experiencing violence, murder, or going missing." To learn more about this issue, visit this site.

It has been seven years since Elijah Runningbear 'Bear' Diaz vanished from his home in El Cajon, California. Bear was 20-years-old at the time of his disappearance. Like many 20-year-olds, he was in a stage of young adulthood where he was gaining independence. However, Bear was also struggling with his health at the time he vanished. Due to his diabetes, he was severely underweight, had limited mobility, and was unable to drive himself from place to place. 

Bear's mother was the last family member to have seen him. His mother dropped him off at his home around 10 PM the night before his disappearance. Bear sent one final text message over at hour later. He has never been seen or heard from again.

Around 4:00 PM the next day, Bear’s mother showed up at his house to bring him dinner. When she arrived, Bear was nowhere to be found and many items were missing from his home as well. The bedding was missing from his bed, along with his big-screen TV and about a week’s worth of his diabetes medication. His toothbrush, glasses, and phone charger were left behind. 

Bear's family members believe somebody took him from his home and harmed him. They have not given up hope in finding him, but unfortunately it appears the case has gone cold.

[read the full case write-up] [submit a tip]

My thoughts on this case...

Somebody obviously knows what happened to Bear. There's no way he left his home with all of that stuff on his own. The bedding being missing indicates, to me, that maybe something happened on the bed and the perp(s) removed it to hide the evidence. That being said, there aren't any reports on forensic testing done on the mattress/remaining parts of the who knows.

Bear lived in a neighborhood full of other Barona tribe members. I hate the thought of someone close to him being responsible for his disappearance, but unfortunately that is the case for most missing persons cases/murders. I really feel for Bear's family and I hope they find answers.

Case #2-

It's been three years since 18-year-old Kaysera Stops Pretty Places was found deceased in Hardin, Montana. Prior to her untimely death, Kaysera lived in the area with her grandmother. She was last seen alive by her family members on August 24th, 2019, and she was reported missing on August 27th.

Two days after Kaysera was reported missing, her body was found in the backyard of a home in Hardin. Her death was deemed suspicious by authorities - but an exact manner and cause of death were unable to be determined. Kaysera's family members have criticized the quality of the investigation into her death. After the autopsy turned out inconclusive, Kaysera's body was cremated - making it impossible for further examinations to be done.

There is still hope that someone with information about Kaysera's death will come forward. Please do not let her name be forgotten!

My thoughts on this case...

So many unfortunate circumstances. I know nothing about cremation/morgue services but it seems as if a body should not be cremated until the investigation into the person's death is complete. The reports say that Kaysera was cremated without her family's consent. If that is true, shouldn't there be some legal repercussions? Either way, I feel frustrated for her family. An 18-year-old doesn't just end up dead out of the blue. Something sinister had to have happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment