Friday, April 22, 2022

The Murder of Kaytlynn Cargill


Kaytlynn Cargill was only 14 years-old when she was brutally murdered on June 19th, 2017.  Prior to her untimely death, Kaytlynn lived with her mother in Bedford, Texas. Kaytlynn's death shocked the community, especially it was revealed that Jordin Roache had been charged with her murder. Jordin was only 16 years-old at the time the murder occurred. 

On the evening of June 19th, Kaytlynn was spending time with a male friend at her mother's apartment. The two teens were reportedly smoking marijuana together when Kaytlynn began to exchange text messages with Jordin Roache. The texts reveal that Kaytlynn and Jordin arranged to meet up at Jordin's apartment complex on Oak Creek Lane that evening so Kaytlynn could buy marijuana from him. Kaytlynn and her friend planned to use the marijuana to make dabs, and then return the dabs to Jordin so he could sell them. 

Kaytlynn and her friend left her mother's apartment around 5:30 PM for the arranged meet up. Jordin requested that Kaytlynn come alone, so her friend stayed back and watched while Kaytlynn met up with Jordin and another unknown male near the apartment complex's pool. Shortly thereafter, the friend watched as Kaytlynn ran away from Jordin and the unknown male. Once she met up with her friend again, she explained that she ran because Jordin and the unknown male had seen the friend watching them. 

Kaytlynn decided to try and meet up with Jordin again about an hour later. This time, Kaytlynn and her friend walked Kaytlynn's dog to a local dog park. Once there, Kaytlynn left the dog with her friend while she walked back towards Jordin's apartment complex. The friend expected Kaytlynn to return after a few minutes. Unfortunately, she never came back. 


Kaytlynn vanishes.

While waiting for Kaytlynn to return, her friend tied Kaytlynn's dog to a tree and played basketball at the park's basketball courts. After 30 minutes passed without Kaytlynn's return, the friend decided to go home. Then, the friend sent Kaytlynn a text message to ask if she was okay.

After the texts went unanswered, the friend decided to return to the dog park. By that point, Kaytlynn's mother had already gone to the park to look for her and the dog. Kaytlynn's mother reported her missing shortly thereafter. 

Investigators quickly learned that Kaytlynn had been in touch with Jordin Roache shortly before her disappearance. They first questioned Jordin on June 20th, 2017. Jordin told investigators that he planned to meet Kaytlynn at the dog park, but that she was not there when he showed up.

Kaytlynn's body is found.

The next day, investigators learned that a body matching Kaytlynn's description was found in a landfill in Arlington County. The body was positively identified as that of Kaytlynn Cargill the following day. She had been bludgeoned to death.

The landfill where Kaytlynn was found. (source)

After discovering the body, investigators checked the route sheets from the sanitation department. The route sheets confirmed that the dumpsters at the Oak Creek Lane apartments were emptied and transported to the landfill on the date the body was found. Kaytlynn was last seen alive at the Oak Creek Lane apartments - where Jordin Roache lived. 

Closing in on Roache.

Investigators then conducted searches at Jordin's apartment. While there, they found blood spatter in several different places throughout the apartment. The blood was swabbed and then sent in for forensic testing. Less than a month later, it was confirmed that the blood found in Jordin's apartment belong to Kaytlynn.

Investigators spent the next month gathering evidence before finally arresting Jordin on August 24th, 2017. He was subsequently charged as an adult with Kaytlynn's murder. Police then revealed their belief that Jordin beat Kaytlynn to death with a hammer. 

Jordin Roache

A guilty plea and a shockingly short sentence.

Jordin Roache has pleaded guilty to the murder of Kaytlynn Cargill. As part of his plea deal, Jordin was sentenced to 10 years and prison and will receive credit for time already served. At this time, there is not an explanation for what lead to the seemingly short sentence for first degree murder. 

A statement from the Bedford Police reads "This day has been a long time coming and we're grateful for the hard work and countless hours put in by Bedford Police officers, detectives, and forensic investigators along with the prosecutors from the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office. The Cargill family remains in our thoughts as we reach the conclusion of this tragic case."

Star Telegram

No comments:

Post a Comment