Saturday, August 17, 2019

The Murder of Kanika Powell

“I just wanted to share with you the scariest thing that happened to me this weekend. Saturday evening around 7pm a man was knocking at my door (as all of you may know I live alone). I asked who it was and he didn’t answer, so once I got close to the door and looked out of the peephole I saw a male figure that was not familiar to me at all. I asked who he was and all he stated was that he was from the FBI and that he was looking for Kanika Powell. It freaked me out completely because this man knew my name. He held a shield up but no picture ID and he never gave his name. He told me he was looking for me in regards to an investigation. I told him that I had no idea as to what he was talking about and that he would need to show me documentation as well as a warrant of some sort. So he left and I looked out my bedroom window and saw him walking. I also heard a voice tell him to walk in the opposite direction. The whole situation was scary and seemed so false. So because of this incident not only did I get NO sleep for the rest of the weekend but I am now trying to get an alarm system installed in my apartment. I had one in my old apartment, but I just hadn’t had it transferred over to my new one.

As far as everything that happened with the guy. I did call the FBI and they told me that it was more than likely bogus because they never come to your door by themselves and they always leave a card of some sort so that you can contact them. I called the local police as well to give them a description just in case someone is out there trying to rape or harm single women. Pass this on ladies.. This is not a fake Forward this happened to ME Kanika…Who knows who these guys are and what they are doing and in what areas other than mine.”

28 year-old Kanika Powell forwarded this message to her family members and friends following this frightening incident that occurred at her Laurel, Maryland apartment on August 23rd, 2008. By all accounts, it appeared that Kanika did everything right in this situation: she refused to answer the door without seeing the proper credentials, she called the police, and she warned others about a potentially dangerous person lurking around the area. Unfortunately, just five days later, Kanika received another mysterious knock on her door. When she looked through the peephole, she noticed it was not the same man who had come by days earlier, but his motives seemed just as suspicious. He told Kanika he was there to deliver a package, and Kanika once again refused to open the door. The man left after that, but he did not leave the package or any other sort of note about where it could be claimed. 

This incident obviously frightened Kanika, but she decided to still go about her day and run her errands as planned. Five hours later, Kanika returned to her apartment after buying groceries. As she was retrieving her keys to unlock her front door, an unknown assailant emerged in the hallway and shot Kanika multiple times. She died the following day at a nearby hospital.

Police immediately suspected that Kanika was targeted, and that her death was not random. However, they are unable to figure out why she was killed. Kanika worked a high-security job, but investigators are unable to find any evidence that her work had anything to do with her death. Additionally, Kanika’s family members stated that Kanika did not have any enemies or scorned ex-lovers. Over a decade has passed since Kanika’s death, and despite the abundance of evidence, there have been no arrests in her case. Her case is still being investigated and this is a cash reward for being offered for anybody with information that could lead to an arrest. If you have any information that could help the investigation, please contact the (301) 498-0092.


No comments:

Post a Comment