Sunday, May 5, 2019

The Disappearance of Kianna Galvin

17 year old Kianna Galvin’s last Instagram post before going missing. Posted on May 2nd, 2016.

Four days after posting this image, on May 6th, 2016, Kianna Galvin vanished. She was last seen when she left her family’s home in South Elgin, Illinois around 12:30pm, after telling her younger sister that she was meeting up with a friend at a nearby park. Kianna said she would only be gone for a few hours, but she never returned at all. When her mother, Fiona Galvin, returned from work that afternoon, she realized Kianna was still not home. When Fiona called Kianna’s cell phone, it went straight to voicemail. For the rest of the 6th and for the entirety of the 7th, Fiona’s mother attempted to reach out to Kianna numerous times with no luck. Finally, on May 8th, 2016, Kianna was reported missing.

For whatever reason, numerous agencies initially classified Kianna as a runaway. However, investigators from South Elgin PD do not believe that she left on her own accord. She has no prior history of running away and and she left numerous personal items at home such as her wallet, phone charger, and purse. There has been no activity on her social media accounts or her bank accounts since May 6th, 2016. Kianna had been on juvenile probation prior to vanishing, but her probationary period had recently ended prior to her disappearance. She also had recently ended a relationship around this time. The ex-boyfriend has apparently been interviewed numerous times and police do not consider him a person of interest at this time.

A little over two years after Kianna’s disappearance, investigators released additional details about what they believe happened to Kianna. Instead of going to the park, as her family believed, Kianna went to buy marijuana from a man at his home on Revere Road. For unclear reasons, investigators have not identified the man at this time. However, they believe Kianna was assaulted and murdered by this man shortly after she vanished. When police questioned him, he told them that Kianna never actually entered his house, and left by 12:45pm while texting another man. Phone records dispute this; as Kianna was not texting with anyone else around that time. Additionally, court documents state that Kianna’s phone was disconnected from the cellular network at 1:10pm “in a manner that would be indicative of the battery being removed or the cellphone being destroyed."

The man’s next-door neighbor also dispute his claims. The neighbor told police that he saw Kianna entering the man’s house the day she vanished. The neighbor also reported seeing blood on the man’s garbage can lid nearly a week later. That blood was later confirmed to belong to Kianna.

The man suspected of killing Kianna is currently serving a 15 year prison sentence for assaulting another woman. He has still not been charged with anything in connection to Kianna’s case, and Kianna remains missing today. Police are still investigating. If you have any information about Kianna and/or her whereabouts, please contact the South Elgin Police Department at (847) 741-2151.

No comments:

Post a Comment